This oh-so-tasty no bake dessert is inspired by the traditional Trifle… with a down under flare. By down under flare we mean made with Lamingtons, an iconic Australian treat.
These individual Lamington Trifles are made with our legendary Lamingtons, fresh berries, jelly and custard. They are perfect for entertaining as they look great and come together in minutes (apart from letting the jelly set). To keep things simple, we have made these using good quality store bought ingredients however if you have more time to spare you could make your own jelly, custard and whipped cream.
- Make your choice of flavoured jelly in accordance to the packet instructions. Pour jelly into your choice of decorative glasses so the jelly is roughly 3 – 4cm high. Leave to set in the fridge.
- Begin by prepping your fresh fruit and Lamingtons. Chop your choice of fresh fruit into slices which are roughly 3mm thick (keeping the slices thin makes it easy to scoop all the different layers while eating). Cut Lamingtons into thirds horizontally and vertically (see picture).
- Once jelly is set it’s time to assemble, first layer with Lamingtons. Place the Lamington slices on top of the jelly so that the outer layer of the Lamingtons are against the glass. I like to press the outer layer of the Lamington slices up against the sides of the glass so their colour shows through once the dessert is complete. Fill the middle with any left over Lamington pieces.
- Now it is time to add your fresh fruit. I love the look of pressing the strawberries up against the side of the glass in an even pattern adding a pop of colour. Continue to layer your choice of fresh fruit, I used banana and blueberries.
- Pour over custard until it is just covering the fruit.
- When you’re ready to serve, add whipped cream on top and garnishes of your choosing.
CUTTING THE LAMINGTONS:
This recipe is one the kids will enjoy also! It’s a no-fuss dessert that is really fun to throw together – its a good way to let their creativity run free… here is how they finished up!